Syria war: Rebels ‘behead 12-year-old boy’ on video
Nour al-Din al-Zinki rebel group calls beheading an “individual error” that does not represent movement’s policy.
The video, posted online on Tuesday, shows a group of men in the back of a truck cutting off the head of the terrified boy.
Before the gruesome murder, the men accuse the boy of being a member of the Liwa al-Quds (Jerusalem brigade), a Palestinian armed group fighting alongside Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government.
The rebels have been identified as members of the Nour al-Din al-Zinki Movement. On Tuesday, the movement published a press release on its Twitter page condemning the killing of the boy and calling the beheading an “individual error that does not represent the general policy of the movement”.
The United States, which has previously provided military support to the Nour al-Din al-Zinki Movement, said it was “seeking more information” and that it could not confirm the “appalling report” at a press briefing on Tuesday.
A report published earlier this month by human rights group Amnesty International details several “war crimes and other violations of international humanitarian law” committed by the Nour al-Din al-Zinki Movement, as well as other rebel groups, throughout the Syrian Civil War.
The alleged war crimes include abductions and torture.
Citing sources close to the United States “northern operation command,” a coordination body allegedly responsible for providing military support to rebels, Amnesty’s report says the Nour al-Din al-Zinki Movement had in the past received military and financial aid from the US, Britain, France, Turkey and several Gulf states.
The funding was apparently halted in September 2015 when the movement joined two other groups that were accused of kidnapping Italian aid workers.